Wednesday, September 3, 2014

Review: Taming Darkness (Artemis Lupine, #4) by Catherine Banks


Things aren't going like anyone planned and life keeps throwing one curve ball after another at Artemis and Ares. Can she live up to the prophecy or have they been wrong this entire time? Join them as they try to right the balance of light and dark in the final installment of Artemis Lupine's life.
I know this series doesn't have a following quite like some others that are out there now, but for the life of me I can't really figure out why?  Has it just not gotten enough exposure?  Is it because it was one of Banks' first series and her name is still unfamiliar to some readers?  Whatever the reason is I'm hoping with crossed fingers that it changes, and sooner rather than later.  Readers who haven't had the chance to check out this series couldn't come into it at a better time.  All four installments are out and available now so there won't be any waiting for the next title, or counting down until a copy can be theirs.  Readers don't have to take a break in between each book, but can fly through all four as quickly as they like.  But be warned...it will most definitely feel like it's over in a blink and like me, readers may find themselves disappointed that a goodbye must be said to these characters and the world that Banks has created.
 
I myself, was one of the readers out there that admittedly did not pick this book up in any part due to the cover art.  There isn't anything wrong with it, but there's no denying the fact that there is cover art out there now that will just blow your mind and leave you with no other choice but to see if the writing found between the the pages can live up to that beauty.  But that aside, there isn't too much I can say in the negative when it comes to Banks' Artemis Lupin series.  It might not flow the same as other stories do, and it's not without critique that I write this review, but this series was just so entertaining that I enjoyed it from the series opener all the way through the final installment.
 
Her characters are simple, but in the best possible way.  They wear their hearts on their sleeves so to speak, and readers get to know them a little more with each turn of the page.  Banks left her readers with a mind blowing cliffhanger in the last installment and I wasn't sure how things would progress after that doozy, but somehow she managed it flawlessly.  As much as I love our leads, Artemis and Ares, it was nice to see Victor play a more dominant role is this book, and the addition of even more new faces and names was a great bonus.  I most definitely wasn't sure how she would wrap up the series, and as crazy as it turned out to be, I wouldn't have it any other way.  While I'm sad to see this series end, I think Banks did her characters, her series, and her readers justice.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails