Tuesday, May 28, 2013

I Love Recommendations (2)

So I'm sure I'm not alone when I say how much I enjoy and appreciate getting recommendations and suggestions from anyone and everyone when it comes to books that may not have crossed my path.  It's always so helpful to hear what others think about a book, while it might not always sway me in one direction or another, it's still great to have a little bit of a heads up going into something as to what I might be able to expect or not expect, depending on the case.
 
Like I said yesterday, I went on one of my favorite sites, Goodreads, and I decided to see what they had lined up for me by way of book recommendations.  I'm so glad I had the time and that I got the chance to check it all out, because yet again I think Goodreads and the people they've got working on that site know me all too well and I love them for it!  I got a huge list (insert excitement) of titles that I decided to add to my TBR list thanks to all of their help.  Here a few of the titles they recommended....do you guys have anything to add to the list?  Have you read or heard something about the titles below that you want to share?

Anew (The Archers of Avalon, #1) by Chelsea Fine

Two years ago, Scarlet awoke in the forest alone, afraid, and unable to remember anything. Lost and confused, her life was a mystery...until she met a boy with a familiar voice.

Gabriel Archer has a voice from her past, and Scarlet's determined to remember why. She immerses herself in his life only to discover he has a brother he's kept hidden from her: Tristan Archer.

Upon meeting Tristan, Scarlet's world becomes even more muddled. While she's instinctively drawn to Gabriel, she's impossibly drawn to Tristan--and confused out of her mind. As she tries to piece together her history Scarlet realizes her past...might just be the death of her.


**Apparently fans of Jennifer L. Armentrout and Shelly Crane will be instant fans of this series, and I'm ready to test out that theory.

Ashes of Twilight (Ashes Trilogy, #1) by Kassy Tayler

Wren MacAvoy works as a coal miner for a domed city that was constructed in the mid-nineteenth century to protect the royal blood line of England when astronomers spotted a comet on a collision course with Earth. Humanity would be saved by the most groundbreaking technology of the time. But after nearly 200 years of life beneath the dome, society has become complacent and the coal is running out.  Plus there are those who wonder, is there life outside the dome or is the world still consumed by fire? When one of Wren's friends escapes the confines of the dome, he is burned alive and put on display as a warning to those seeking to disrupt the dome’s way of life. But Alex’s final words are haunting. “The sky is blue.” 

What happens next is a whirlwind of adventure, romance, conspiracy and the struggle to stay alive in a world where nothing is as it seems. Wren unwittingly becomes a catalyst for a revolution that destroys the dome and the only way to survive might be to embrace what the entire society has feared their entire existence.

**Because I had read and enjoyed, Lisa M. Stasse's The Forsaken, Theo Lawrence's Mystic City, Kevin Emerson's The Lost Code, and Heather Anastasiu's Glitch, I'm predicted to like this series as well.  Those four books are ones that I truly enjoyed from start to finish, so if this title falls into that same category, I'll be one happy reader for sure!

Revamped (Angel Creek, #1) by Ada Adams

A simple mission turned deadly.

Nineteen-year-old vampire Dawn has led a sheltered life within the confines of her father’s presidential headquarters. Upon being sent on a mission to revamp four goofy misfits into guardians of a peaceful little town of Angel Creek, Dawn believes that all her dreams have finally come true. What starts off as a simple task, turns into something unexpected, changing Dawn’s life forever and leading the action-loving, thrill-seeking vampire teen on a path of mystery, danger and intrigue.

When a human girl is kidnapped by a group of rogue vamps, Dawn discovers that there is more going on in Angel Creek than meets the eye. And it all connects to Ethan, the cute newcomer who seems too perfect to be true, Sebastian, the mysterious vampire with a turbulent past, and even Dawn herself. Dawn must not only succeed in revamping the troubled recruits, but must also prevent the vampire race from being overtaken by a malevolent villain who has a strange and obsessive fascination with her. As threat escalates, romance blooms, and ghosts from her past begin to surface, Dawn is sure of only one thing: her life will never be the same.


**Based on how I liked J.A. London's Blood Kissed Sky, this one was added to my list and while it's the first I've ever come across it, the description I read pulled me in and has me optimistic that I'll be wanting to continue on in the series.

Epic (Epic, #1) by Conor Kostick


Generations ago, violence was banned on New Earth. Society is governed and conflicts are resolved in the arena of a fantasy computer game, Epic. Everyone plays. If you win, you have the chance to go to university, get more supplies for your community, and fulfill your dreams; if you lose, your life both in and out of the game is worth nothing.

When Erik, seeking revenge for the unjust treatment of his parents, dares to subvert the rules of Epic, he and his friends find themselves up against with the ultimate masters of the game: the Committee. If Erik and his friends win, they may have the key to destroying Epic's tyranny over New Earth.

But if they lose . . .

**After marking Catherine Fischer's Incarceron as a book I enjoyed this title popped up for my perusal.  I'm not quite sure if I'm sold yet or not, but it did pique my interest enough to put it on the list and only time will tell if it can live up to the recommendation.

Thin Air (Thin Air Saga, #1) by Lynn Seresin

Alice Ayre is no ordinary teenager. She took her first name from a statue in Central Park, pulled her last name out of the air (literally), and she’s actually almost a thousand years old. In fact, the only “ordinary” thing about Alice is that she’s in love.

Alice was a sylphid—a winged air spirit—when she spotted Daniel Field camping in the Adirondacks and lost her heart to the handsome NYU student. Intangible to the human senses, her only hope of winning his heart resides in becoming mortal, even though transmutation is forbidden by Paralda, ruler of the air. Risking punishment, however, seems a small price to pay for a chance at true happiness.

Tracking down Daniel in New York City ends up being surprisingly easy. Getting noticed by him for all the right reasons is another story, especially when the human world keeps tossing challenges in Alice’s path. Just when she’s mastered zippers and buttons, she catches herself dropping a sugar packet into her coffee and mistaking a photo of John Lennon for one of Daniel’s relatives.

Her eccentricities raise the occasional eyebrow with Daniel and his friends, but her quirky charm, sweetness, and sincerity win out. Before long, she lands a job, begins a relationship with Daniel, and starts settling into her new life—until her past comes after her.


**Catherine Banks' Artemis Lupine series is one of my favorites.  Based on that knowledge, Goodreads pulled this title for me to check out and so far the description has me intrigued and wanting to find out what will happen with Alice and Daniel.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails