Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Continuing On

Sometimes I find myself getting so caught up counting down to new releases that I forget about some of the books and series that I'm looking forward to continuing on.  So recently I went back through and checked in with some of my favorites to see what was going on.  I'll admit I was surprised (in a good way) to find that new installments had come out within a series I'd enjoyed.  So rather than counting down in these posts, I decided to list some titles that have come out that I need to back track and read in order to catch up.  Here are just a few...

Catch Up #1:  A Fractured Light (A Beautiful Dark, #2) by Jocelyn Davies

When she wakes up in unfamiliar surroundings, Skye knows something terrible has happened to her. It's not until she hears Asher, the dark, rebellious angel she fell in love with, that the memories come flooding back. She tries to put the past behind her, but she knows she'll be forever haunted by the ruthless betrayal that almost took her life.

Skye returns home, but with the knowledge of who she really is, nothing can ever be the same. As she tests the limits of her new found powers, Skye discovers that she's capable of far more than anyone could have imagined. Both the Order and the Rebellion want her for their side as war between the factions looms. She can't forget the terrifying truth she now knows about the Order, but something holds her back from embracing the Rebellion.

A Fractured Light picks up right after A Beautiful Dark's shocking cliffhanger ending and is perfect for fans of Lauren Kate's Fallen and Becca Fitzpatrick's Hush, Hush saga.


So I went back and refreshed my memory on the series opener.  Since it came out in 2011 my brain needed jogging.  I remembered trying to decide whether I was on Team Asher or Team Devin.  Then I remembered that while I had picked one side for the majority of the read, after the final page had been turned I had changed my mind.  It doesn't usually work that way with me but there it was all the same.  I definitely need to get myself a copy of this sequel to see if I flip flop again and to get ready for the final installment in the trilogy, A Radiant Sky.

Catch Up #2:  Independence (Significance, #4) by Shelly Crane

In the fourth and final installment, Maggie and Caleb must tie up all the loose ends of their lives and make a way to be together completely on their own. With everything that happened with Bish and Maggie's father, she's almost reluctant to move on and move out. And now she must figure out all of this...stuff...with Haddock. But of course, nothing can stay simple for the Jacobsons. Enemies who were thought to be dissolved have decided to not go down so easily. And old flames come calling for more than just Maggie. Caleb is torn between leading his family and personal wants. Maggie is torn between Caleb and being the leader of their people. But neither will let what they need most to be pushed to the wayside. They are determined to make it all work, design a plan toward destiny, and make everything right again for themselves and their family.

And then there's a wedding...


So before diving back into the fourth and final (crying here) installment of Crane's fabulous series I know I had to read the novella, Reverence, which serves s a companion story.  And the fact that it's told from Caleb's point of view is a majorly awesome selling point.  To be honest I'm not sure how I missed either of these releases because this was a series where once I got through the third installment I couldn't believe I'd have to wait to see what would happen next...I was crushed.  Now to find out that I've wasted precious time when I could have been checking it all out is unacceptable!

Catch Up #3:  Book Of Life (Knight Angels, #3) by Abra Ebner

Emotional baggage, begrudged enemies, and bitterness come when the honeymoon of Emily, Max, Wes, Greg, and Jane's friendships fade. Will the love survive, or is it all just a game?

I have only myself to blame for this one.  I've got book two, Book of Revenge sitting on my shelf unread.  So obviously before I can read this third installment I've got some big time catching up and I want to do this sooner rather than later.  Ebner's characters are hard not to become entranced with and I'm ready to fall under her spell all over again.

Catch Up #4:  The Marked (Delcroix Academy, #2) by Inara Scott

All of her life, Dancia Lewis has wanted to use her powers for good. And now that she's learned the truth about Delcroix Academy—and herself—she may just get the chance. But being part of Delcroix's top secret Program isn't anything like Dancia expected. 

She has to ask herself: what happens to the Talented kids who refuse to pledge their loyalty to the Program? And why did her friend Jack run away rather than join? Dancia's adorable boyfriend Cam insists they need the help of every Talented student to defend Delcroix from dangerous enemies outside their gates. 

But Dancia has to wonder: what if Delcroix's most frightening enemies come from within?

Is this the final installment in the series?  It's been a while (at least 2 years) since I read the series opener, The Candidates, but I know I need a refresher before cracking this one open.  What I do remember when finishing the series opener is that I thought I'd found a series I would want to follow and continue reading for a very long time.  So I guess I'm surprised to not hear anything about future installments outside the two already on the shelves.  Have any of you readers out there read the second installment?  Is everything wrapped up in book two?  I'm eager to hear if anyone knows if this is it or if more books will follow.

Catch Up #5:  City of Lost Souls (Mortal Instruments, #5) by Cassandra Clare

The New York Times bestselling Mortal Instruments continues—and so do the thrills and danger for Jace, Clary, and Simon.

What price is too high to pay, even for love? When Jace and Clary meet again, Clary is horrified to discover that the demon Lilith’s magic has bound her beloved Jace together with her evil brother Sebastian, and that Jace has become a servant of evil. The Clave is out to destroy Sebastian, but there is no way to harm one boy without destroying the other. As Alec, Magnus, Simon, and Isabelle wheedle and bargain with Seelies, demons, and the merciless Iron Sisters to try to save Jace, Clary plays a dangerous game of her own. The price of losing is not just her own life, but Jace’s soul. She’s willing to do anything for Jace, but can she still trust him? Or is he truly lost?

Love. Blood. Betrayal. Revenge. Darkness threatens to claim the Shadowhunters in the harrowing fifth book of the Mortal Instruments series.


For this one I know the reason why it fell through the cracks.  It was book four, City of Fallen Angels.  Simon's a great character, but when I started reading these books it was Jace and Clary that kept me coming back for more time and time again.  So while it was nice to hear more about Simon it was not my favorite installment in the series.  So I took a little bit of a break.  Now I'm ready to get back into it and root for Jace and Clary all over again.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails