Monday, December 17, 2012

Countdown: February 2013 (3)

February is a short month but it seems to be packed with great new titles that will hit the shelves in that small amount of time. A few series sequels and a bunch of new titles and authors to check out and I'm excited for each one of them. For some reason outside of Valentine's Day there usually isn't much else going on with everyone in February. It's always a great time to unwind and decompress as much as possible after the holidays, and also a perfect time to get cozy at home with a few of the great books that I've gotten from friends and family. 

So I'm hoping that the tradition stands this year and come February the countdown will have been worth it and I'll be able to squeeze as many books as possible into that month and to pump out as many reviews for the blog as possible. So here are just a few of the titles that come out in February that I'm looking forward to diving into.

Countdown Pick #1:  Hysteria by Megan Miranda (02/05/2013)


After stabbing and killing her boyfriend, sixteen-year-old Mallory, who has no memory of the event, is sent away to a boarding school to escape the gossip and threats, but someone or something is following her.

They're not really giving much away with this description, but in the one sentence they give readers it sure packs a wallop, doesn't it?  I can't imagine what Miranda has in store for her readers with this set up but it's sure to be one with twists and turns and more mystery and question than I'll be able to stand.  I'll have to find a way to remember to have patience with this one, but so far I'm already on the edge of my seat and curious what our main character will unravel and who, exactly is following her?

Countdown Pick #2:  The Reece Malcolm List by Amy Spalding (02/05/2013)

Things I know about Reece Malcolm:

1. She graduated from New York University.
2. She lives in or near Los Angeles.
3. Since her first novel was released, she’s been on the New York Times bestseller list every week.
4. She likes strong coffee and bourbon.
5. She’s my mother.

Devan knows very little about Reece Malcolm, until the day her father dies and she’s shipped off to live with the mother she’s never met. All she has is a list of notebook entries that doesn’t add up to much.

L.A. offers a whole new world to Devan—a performing arts school allows her to pursue her passion for show choir and musicals, a new circle of friends helps to draw her out of her shell, and an intriguing boy opens up possibilities for her first love.

But then the Reece Malcolm list gets a surprising new entry. Now that Devan is so close to having it all, can she handle the possibility of losing everything?


It's been a while since I've picked up and read a good contemporary YA title and I'm looking forward to breaking that trend with this February release.  I love that this read sounds like it has bits of everything wrapped up in the package.  A little bit of romance, new schools and the drama and angst that might follow, personal lost combined with new possibilities and doors opened.  Contemporary YA always includes lessons learned, but usually the readers are lucky enough to experience it all right there along with the narrators and I've always been a fan of that style.

Countdown Pick #3:  Notes from Ghost Town by Kate Ellison (02/12/2013)

They say first love never dies...

From critically acclaimed author Kate Ellison comes a heartbreaking mystery of mental illness, unspoken love, and murder. When sixteen-year-old artist Olivia Tithe is visited by the ghost of her first love, Lucas Stern, it's only through scattered images and notes left behind that she can unravel the mystery of his death. 

There's a catch: Olivia has gone colorblind, and there's a good chance she's losing her mind completely--just like her mother did. How else to explain seeing (and falling in love all over again with) someone who isn't really there?

With the murder trial looming just nine days away, Olivia must follow her heart to the truth, no matter how painful. It's the only way she can save herself.


I can already feel it...this one is going to break my heart.  The description of this book alone has me feeling for the main character and I haven't even cracked open the first page, so I know I'm in trouble.  I won't be able to resist picking this one up, but I have a feeling that no matter how this book ends, I'll end up being sad one way or another.  Emotional overload coming right up!

Countdown Pick #4:  Frankie's Monster by Rae Hachton (02/14/2013)

Love Never Dies Easy

xombie spends his time quietly alone in the attic, longing to feel alive again. It's only after he meets Francesca that his music box heart begins to beat. He saves her from the gang that tries to hurt her, but not long after, he falls for her. Strangely, she has an attraction for this anthropomorphic boy with the clock-work heart, too. But she knows their love won't be forever, the way Johnny has intended for it to. She's human, and well...he's not. He gives her his heart. 

And she breaks it. She breaks him.

And now he wants it back. He wants her heart.


Do you think they knew what they were doing by releasing this title on Valentine's Day?  I think it's kind of funny myself, but I'm not sure it would be all the couples out there in quite the romantic mood most strive for on this special day.  I can't say that I was expecting something like this book's description based on the title or the cover art, but I'm interested regardless and curious to see how it pans out.  If anyone else feels the same way, there's a giveaway going on over at Goodreads for three copies and one of them could be yours.

Countdown Pick #5:  Dominion (Guardian Angels, #1) by Melody Manful (02/16/2013)

I Dare You.
Look Over Your Shoulders.
Do You See Them?
They are behind you...
They are always behind you.

Abigail Cells had a nightmare the day before she met Gideon, the new guy in school who has every girl drooling just to be near him. In her nightmare, she was murdered by a magical creature. As she gets to know Gideon, she begins to remember pieces of her nightmare, and was shocked when Gideon turned out to be the creature from her nightmare. Who is Gideon really, should Abby allow herself to fall completely for him, or is he the next disaster waiting to happen?


I love everything about this description.  Romance potential?  I think so.  Suspense and action?  I think so.  I just like the beginning of the tag line too...it's playful and intriguing and all of the things a reader looks for in a new book if you ask me.  Very excited to see where this read takes us.  There's a giveaway for this read as well over at Goodreads if anyone's interested, check it out.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails