Thursday, December 6, 2012

ARC Review: Flawed by Kate Avelynn

Sarah O’Brien is alive because of the pact she and her brother made twelve years ago — James will protect her from their violent father if she promises to never leave him. For years, she’s watched James destroy his life to save hers. If all he asks for in return is her affection, she’ll give it freely.

Until, with a tiny kiss and a broken mind, he asks for more than she can give.

Sam Donavon has been James’ best friend — and the boy Sarah’s had a crush on — for as long as she can remember. As their forbidden relationship deepens, Sarah knows she’s in trouble. Quiet, serious Sam has decided he’s going to save her. Neither of them realizes James is far more unstable than her father ever was, or that he’s not about to let Sarah forget her half of the pact . . .


Emotional. Wrenching. Difficult. Draining.  Touching.  All of these are perfect descriptions for this book but yet still can't possibly do it justice.  I struggled even with starting this review, because I know without a doubt that no matter what I manage to put into words there will never be a way to encompass everything I felt while reading this book, how intensely I'm still feeling after turning the last page, and the amazing writing that Avelynn has proved is out there just waiting for readers to discover.

By reading the book's synopsis alone readers will surely draw the same conclusions...this will not be a book for the faint of heart.  The subject matter is not one to be taken lightly and for me, it's something I'll be thinking and mulling over for a long time to come I'm sure.  The courage and talent it took to write a book like this one and having the ability to shape it into the piece of art that it is was humbling to witness.

I could go on and on for days I'm sure about my reactions to this book, but there are three main components to this story and each of them are the unique and memorable characters Avelynn created in Sarah, James and Sam.  Sarah's a protagonist who's voice was one that readers will want to follow along with, and have you sitting back and admiring her strength throughout the pages.  While mistakes are made by all of the characters, their redeeming qualities far outweigh the rest.

James is a tough one to talk about for me.  I went back and forth, as I'm sure many readers will on my feelings towards him.  I hated him, pitied him, etc...He gave up his life to protect his sister in so many ways and just like Sarah was a victim of circumstances that were far out of his control.  But he is a tough character to side with at the same time.  The complexity of this character is yet another shining example of Avelynn's talent.  And Sam...well there's just not enough room on the Web for me to talk about Sam.  He is the boy everyone hopes one day to meet.  I'm not sure how to get this across in words (on paper so to speak) but all I can say is that he's just one of those genuinely good people.  We all know they're out there, and we all strive to be like them, but it's so rare that we meet someone that can truly claim to own that title.  Even with the bumps in the road he was someone to look up to and admire.

I'm getting emotional even while writing this review, and so before I go off into a unnecessary tangent I can only hope that more readers will discover this book and give it the chance it deserves.  It might not be the read that will make you laugh and bring you out of a reading slump with it's light and easy going plot, but it's one that I believe everyone will benefit from reading.  It might not change your life or anything, but it's certainly will benefit people to become exposed to writing like Avelynn's and characters like the ones she's created within Flawed.

I gave Flawed 4 shamrocks!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails