Monday, September 17, 2012

Countdown: Missed Titles (8)


While trying to get back into the swing of things on the blog after my crazy, wedding filled Summer, I of course decided to bring back the countdowns.  They're some of my favorites posts to prepare and doing the research on them is always exciting because I seem to always end up pleasantly surprised by how many titles out there that I end up wanting to read in the worst possible way.

So while I've got a huge list already compiled of all the great titles coming out in 2013, I wanted to come back and start first by featuring some reads that I somehow missed in the past year or two.  I'm always both upset and excited to find titles that somehow went under my radar.  Upset because I already feel like I'm behind, and have possibly missed out on great reading experiences, but also excited to finally come across them so that I'll have the chance to make up for lost time and dive right into these intriguing reads.  So here's the start to the missing titles countdown.  Since these have been on the shelves for a while now, if you see any that you've read or heard anything about, let me know and give me your opinion....should I rush them to the top of my TBR pile, or possibly hold off???


Countdown Pick #1:  Providence (Providence, #1) by Jamie McGuire

In the old world shadows of Providence, Rhode Island, Nina Grey finds herself the center of a war between Hell and Earth.

Struggling with her father’s recent death, Nina meets Jared Ryel by chance…or so she believes. Although his stunning good looks and mysterious talents are a welcome distraction, it soon becomes clear that Jared knows more about Nina than even her friends at Brown University. When questions outnumber answers, Jared risks everything to keep the woman he was born to save—by sharing the secret he was sworn to protect.

When her father’s former associates begin following her in the dark, Nina learns that her father is not the man she thought he was, but a thief who stole from demons. Searching for the truth behind her father’s death, Nina stumbles upon something she never expected—something Hell wants—and only she holds the key.


Another of Jamie McGuire's titles that I am so excited to discover.  And the fact that it's another series gets me even more excited.  I checked out McGuire's website to see if there was anything else I could find regarding this title, and when I came across McGuire's playlist that she used while writing I couldn't have been more pleased.  Some of my favorite songs were listed among her compilation and just thinking about each song gives me a better idea of what kind of book this may in fact turn out to be, and I'm oh so excited!

Countdown Pick #2:  The Ylem (The Ylem Trilogy, #1) by Tatiana Vila

An ancient book, a seventeen-year-old girl and an exotic boy from a supernatural world hold the key to freedom for a long-oppressed race, but that freedom could come at the cost of the human world. 

Seventeen-year-old Kalista is suffering from a broken heart, so when her playwright father proposes they move their lives from New York to New Mexico because he is in need of inspiration Kalista is 100% on-board with him. New Mexico proves to be the perfect balm for her wounds and she is just starting to feel some of her old spunk when Tristan Winfield comes into her life and pulls all of her barriers down. Kalista is captivated by Tristan's unusual silver eyes and feels an inexplicable connection to him, which begins to manifest itself in her dreams with bizarre images of a waterfall and an orb.

While searching for an explanation for her troubling dreams, Kalista discovers an ancient book which holds the secrets of a supernatural race of creatures. But when Killings hit town, she realizes her finding has come at a high price. She's in the middle of a power struggle now, and a secret seems to be wrapped within the pages of that book. A secret she and Tristan are part of...


If the book's description isn't enough to sway you I think the cover will push you over the edge.  Or at least that's how I felt when I saw it.  It's almost electric and jumps right off the screen like it's demanding you pay attention and take a closer look.  I'm down for adding this title to my TBR list and if anyone has read it or heard anything about this series, please share!  The second installment isn't supposed to hit shelves until November of this year so there's still time to get caught up without having to play catch up for the whole trilogy.

Countdown Pick #3:  After Eden (Fallen Angels, #1) by Katherine Pine

Devi knows she shouldn’t trust the new employee at her favorite used bookstore. Sure, he’s funny, smart and hands down the sexiest guy she’s ever met, but something dark lurks behind his unassuming smile and sinful green eyes.

Still, a girl can’t always afford to be picky. When an angel abducts your twin brother it should come as no surprise that the one person who can help you get him back is a demon–and only if you’re willing to pay his price.


I'm still not quite sure how I feel about this cover art?  But I'll get over it.  With me always being eager to dive into a book about angels, there was no way this title wasn't making my list, but I'm still on the fence as to how I'll feel going into this one.  I always try to keep an open mind and not go in with preconceived notions or opinions, but it doesn't always work out that way.  Only time will tell I guess.

Countdown Pick #4:  Breathless (The Cordelia Chronicles, #1) by Heather C. Hudak

When tall, dark, and mysterious Chaseyn Lear arrives in the small town of Evergreen, Colorado, high school senior Lia Jameson’s life is turned upside-down. An unexpected twist of fate unravels a long-time family curse that puts Lia in the center of a supernatural drama and threatens her life.

This book could not have any better reviews!  Readers seemed to really enjoy this one and I'm sad that I'm so late to the party, but still glad to be here all the same.  From what I've seen readers could not put this book down, definitely sounded like the type of book that you pick up and finish all in one day if you can do anything about it....just that addicting I guess.  I am stoked to start reading it and seeing for myself if I turn out to be like everyone else and can't get enough of Hudak's writing.  The second installment in the series is out on the shelves so at least I'll know that I'll be able to jump right into the second book if it really does turn out to be just that good!

Countdown Pick #5:  Gifts of the Blood (Gifted Blood, #1) by Vicki Keire

Caspia Chastain, art student and barista, is gifted (or plagued, if you ask her) with the ability to draw the future, usually at the worst possible times. Her parents are four years dead; everyday she watches her brother Logan fight his cancer diagnosis. Things get worse for Caspia the day she draws an angry stranger framed by planes of light and violent, bloody images. That exact same stranger walks up to her out of nowhere mere hours later knowing things he shouldn't, like her name, her brother's illness, and her strange ability. That's when Caspia discovers her hometown is a refuge for supernatural beings both Light and Dark, and she and her brother find themselves caught up in a war between the two that predates their very birth. In order to protect herself and her brother, she turns to the one who seems to have started it all: the man who walked out of her sketchbook calling himself Ethan. 

But Ethan has his own agenda, Logan's getting sicker fast, and Caspia finds that drawing the future isn't the only strange thing she can do. Meanwhile, someone really wants all of them dead. In a town where Dark doesn't equal Evil and Light isn't always Good, Caspia and Ethan find themselves making strange alliances and even stranger sacrifices in order to protect those they love.


Count me in for sure!  With three books in this series so far I'm looking forward to, and already anticipating this series being added among my favorites.  It may have some similar characteristics that can be found in others on the shelves, but it seems to be an interesting mixture and one that I think could turn out to be an awesome combination.  Fans seem to love it and I want to know if I'm on the mark, or if my radar is skewed.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails