Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Countdown: Missed Titles (6)


While trying to get back into the swing of things on the blog after my crazy, wedding filled Summer, I of course decided to bring back the countdowns.  They're some of my favorites posts to prepare and doing the research on them is always exciting because I seem to always end up pleasantly surprised by how many titles out there that I end up wanting to read in the worst possible way.

So while I've got a huge list already compiled of all the great titles coming out in 2013, I wanted to come back and start first by featuring some reads that I somehow missed in the past year or two.  I'm always both upset and excited to find titles that somehow went under my radar.  Upset because I already feel like I'm behind, and have possibly missed out on great reading experiences, but also excited to finally come across them so that I'll have the chance to make up for lost time and dive right into these intriguing reads.  So here's the start to the missing titles countdown.  Since these have been on the shelves for a while now, if you see any that you've read or heard anything about, let me know and give me your opinion....should I rush them to the top of my TBR pile, or possibly hold off???


Countdown Pick #1:  Fae Not by Leah Spiegel and Megan Summers

Ashton has never had a problem being able to turn heads, or being able to persuade humans do to whatever he wants. After the accidental death of a childhood friend, Ashton knows all too well the dangers that come along with channeling humans and begins to resent his existence because of it. 

Ashton now spends his time trying to “fix” humans at a therapeutic camp in his colony. When Claire comes to the camp, not only is she different in the fact that she’s shy and innocent, but his abilities don’t seem to work on her either.


Distraught, Ashton discovers who her real parents are and what Claire must be, but he knows he’s also running out of time because another more powerful fae is erasing the memory that she even existed. He must find her before they find him or the memory of Claire, the only girl he’s ever loved, and the knowledge of what she truly is will be erased forever.


Doesn't this sound good?  Leah Spiegel has the preface and first chapter on her site here, so feel free to check out the beginning of this title before you buy the whole book.  From the sounds of the description I'm sure the first chapter won't be enough to tide readers over, I know it wasn't for me.  I'm intrigued and curious to see what kinds of obstacles will be in store for Ashton and Claire as they race to make sure she's not wiped out from everyone's memories.

Countdown Pick #2:  Mercenary (Little Death Bringer, #1) by Catherine Banks

Being raised by the King and Queen of the Elves has given Marin quite a diverse background. Burdened by her humanity and femininity, she must push herself and train every day just to hold her own against the elves around her. Amadis, Queen of the Elves, continues to try to turn Marin into a lady, but the one thing Marin desperately wants is to be the first girl to graduate Macon Academy to be a mercenary. Just when she thinks the goal is within reach, a kidnapping attempt puts those around her in fear. Why would someone want to kidnap her? And what is this fire building within her that she never noticed before? 

Her worries seem to be compiling as not only the kidnapping attempts make her uneasy, but now her feelings for her best friend, Favian, are changing in a way she does not understand. She must begin to deal with the surmounting issues of her femininity, her ever increasing passion for fighting, her feelings for Favian, and the reason there are people trying to kidnap her.


I love Catherine Banks' writing style.  There's something about her phrasing and pace that had me becoming a fast fan of her Artemis Lupine series, and I'm positive this series will be no different.  And now instead of wolves, Banks has thrown Elves into her repertoire.  I love the sound of this title and can't wait to see where the series will take readers.

Countdown Pick #3:  Power (Soul Savers, #4) by Kristie Cook

As the stakes rise, can she find her true power?

As the Amadis prepare for war, Alexis returns to Florida with orders to relax, regenerate and replenish her depleted power. But her task list quickly grows—establish a new safe house, learn the art of conversion, find her AWOL protector, help a desperate fan, and protect her son. Oh, and figure out what’s going on with her husband, whose peculiar behavior just might get them killed.

But most important of all, her primary mission: recover her stolen pendant.

The stone in the pendant not only promises hope for the Amadis future, but its unknown qualities make it a possible weapon in the wrong hands. With guidance and power from an improbable source and an unlikely ally by her side, Alexis sets out to retrieve the stone before the enemy discovers its potential for mass destruction. But when she finds herself in the Daemoni’s lair fighting for her life, all hope seems lost. Will she discover the true power she holds in time? And is it enough to save herself, her family and the Amadis?

Power, the next installment of the Soul Savers Series, takes you on a hot and edgy ride with twists and turns you’ll never see coming, leaving you breathless and once again begging for more.


I have NO idea how I missed this title when it hit the eBook shelves, but somehow I did, and I'm blaming wedding season.  This is a series that I've come to love and call one of my favorites, and the same can be said for it's author, Kristie Cook.  Her characters are fresh and endearing, her action is addicting, and her story lines are action packed and have always left me wanting more, more more!  This title is not only being added to my TBR, but it's going straight to the top!

Countdown Pick #4:  Beautiful Disaster (Beautiful, #1) by Jamie McGuire

The new Abby Abernathy is a good girl. She doesn’t drink or swear, and she has the appropriate percentage of cardigans in her wardrobe. Abby believes she has enough distance between her and the darkness of her past, but when she arrives at college with her best friend, her path to a new beginning is quickly challenged by Eastern University's Walking One-Night Stand. 

Travis Maddox, lean, cut, and covered in tattoos, is exactly what Abby needs—and wants—to avoid. He spends his nights winning money in a floating fight ring, and his days as the ultimate college campus charmer. Intrigued by Abby’s resistance to his appeal, Travis tricks her into his daily life with a simple bet. If he loses, he must remain abstinent for a month. If Abby loses, she must live in Travis’s apartment for the same amount of time. Either way, Travis has no idea that he has met his match.


So not only does this book sound fabulous, but the author has a follow up companion book expected out in 2013 where the storyline is the same but the point of view will be told from Travis' side instead of Abby's.  I'm crossing my fingers that the book turns out to be as good as the description makes it seem, because that means not only will I have found another great addition to my library, another great author to follow closely, but also another title that I'll be able to add to my 2013 reading list!

Countdown Pick #5:  Significance (Significance, #1) by Shelly Crane

Maggie is a seventeen year old girl who's had a bad year. She was smart and on track but then her mom left, her dad is depressed, she's graduating, barely, and her boyfriend of almost three years dumped her for a college football scholarship. Lately she thinks life is all about hanging on by a thread and is gripping tight with everything she has.

Then she meets Caleb. She saves his life and instantly knows there's something about him that's intriguing but she is supposed to be on her way to a date with his cousin. But things change when they touch, sparks ignite. Literally.

They imprint with each other and she sees their future life together flash before her eyes. She learns that not only is she his soul mate, and can feel his heartbeat in her chest, but there is a whole other world of people with gifts and abilities that she never knew existed. She herself is experiencing supernatural changes unlike anything she's ever felt before and she needs the touch of his skin to survive.

Now, not only has her dad come out of his depression to be a father again, and a pain as well, but Caleb's enemies know he's imprinted and are after Maggie to stop them both from gaining their abilities and take her from him.

Can Caleb save her or will they be forced to live without each other after just finding one another?


I'm already on team Caleb and Maggie and I haven't even bought the book yet.  I checked out the author's website and this is no short series.  There are at least four books out already and a fifth to hit shelves sooner rather than later.  So I'm crossing my fingers double time and hoping that I'll like the book as much I think I will so that I've got a few more titles to add to my TBR list and won't have to say goodbye to the characters before I'm ready.  Can't wait to start!

1 comment:

  1. You.Must.Read. Beautiful Disaster!! I loved loved LOVED this book! But, this is a book you either love or hate :)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails