Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Countdown: Missed Titles (3)


While trying to get back into the swing of things on the blog after my crazy, wedding filled Summer, I of course decided to bring back the countdowns.  They're some of my favorites posts to prepare and doing the research on them is always exciting because I seem to always end up pleasantly surprised by how many titles out there that I end up wanting to read in the worst possible way.

So while I've got a huge list already compiled of all the great titles coming out in 2013, I wanted to come back and start first by featuring some reads that I somehow missed in the past year or two.  I'm always both upset and excited to find titles that somehow went under my radar.  Upset because I already feel like I'm behind, and have possibly missed out on great reading experiences, but also excited to finally come across them so that I'll have the chance to make up for lost time and dive right into these intriguing reads.  So here's the start to the missing titles countdown.  Since these have been on the shelves for a while now, if you see any that you've read or heard anything about, let me know and give me your opinion....should I rush them to the top of my TBR pile, or possibly hold off???


Countdown Pick #1:  Fitzwilliam Darcy, Rock Star by Heather Lynn Rigaud


"Darcy's as hot as he is talented..."

Fast music, powerful beats, and wild reputations-on and off stage-have made virtuoso guitarist Fitzwilliam Darcy's band into rock's newest bad boys. But they've lost their latest opening act, and their red-hot summer tour is on the fast track to disaster. Now Darcy and bandmates Charles Bingley and Richard Fitzwilliam are about to meet their match...
"But she's about to rock his world..."
Enter Elizabeth Bennet, fiercely independent star of girl-band Long Borne Suffering. Elizabeth, her sister Jane, and friend Charlotte Lucas have talent to spare and jump at the opening band slot. Elizabeth is sure she's seen the worst the music industry has to offer. But as the days and nights heat up, it becomes clear that everyone is in for a summer to remember.

Most of you know that Austen is my all time favorite author, and Pride and Prejudice has been my favorite book since I don't even remember when.  It's that special.  So while I know other fans of the classic don't care for remakes, spins or twists on the famous title, I'm not one of them.  I enjoy any and all chances I get to become reacquainted with my favorite characters and the storyline they follow.  While they're of course never going to touch Austen's original masterpiece, it's still fun to see what new ways authors now days have for putting Darcy and Elizabeth back into the swing of things.  And this rock and roll version sounds highly entertaining.  I can't wait to check it out!

Countdown Pick #2:  The Way We Fall (Fallen World, #1) by Megan Crewe

It starts with an itch you just can’t shake. Then comes a fever and a tickle in your throat. A few days later, you’ll be blabbing your secrets and chatting with strangers like they’re old friends. Three more, and the paranoid hallucinations kick in.

And then you’re dead.


When a deadly virus begins to sweep through sixteen-year-old Kaelyn’s community, the government quarantines her island—no one can leave, and no one can come back.

Those still healthy must fight for dwindling supplies, or lose all chance of survival. As everything familiar comes crashing down, Kaelyn joins forces with a former rival and discovers a new love in the midst of heartbreak. When the virus starts to rob her of friends and family, she clings to the belief that there must be a way to save the people she holds dearest. 

Because how will she go on if there isn’t?


This is another example of one of those scary situations that you hope won't even happen but in the back of your mind you know is completely possible to come to fruition in the future.  While I don't think (at least I hope not) that we'll have a crazy virus that will break out in the world and force us to be quarantined any time soon, it's still freaky to think about.  I'm curious to see how the main character handles things, and whether or not a happy ending is possible for her at the end.

Countdown Pick #3:  Bloodspell (Bloodspell, #1) by Amalie Howard

The spell was simple...

Cruentus Protectum (Defend the Blood)

But what do you do if your blood is your enemy?

Victoria Warrick has always known she was different. An outcast at school, she is no stranger to adversity. But when she receives an old journal for her seventeenth birthday, nothing prepares her for the dark secrets it holds -- much less one that reveals she's a witch with unimaginable power.

What's more, when she meets the dazzling but enigmatic Christian Devereux, she has no idea how much her life is about to change. Enemies will hunt her. Friends will turn on her. The terrible curse that makes her blood run black will stop at nothing to control her. And Christian has a sinister secret of his own...

Without knowing whom to trust, can Victoria survive her blood's deadly desires? Or will she lose everything, including herself?


I'm not sure where these authors come up with new material in an overloaded paranormal literary world, but somehow they manage just fine.  Howard seems to have taken on the task of telling a witches tale, and one that's intriguing, mysterious and has suspense on overload.  I'm curious to see how these two characters will interact and if Howard will throw a little romance into her pages as well.

Countdown Pick #4:  Sojourner (Sojourner, #1) by Maria Rachel Hooley


Seventeen-year-old Elizabeth Moon has been dreaming of her murder her entire life, and in those dreams, a dark presence is there, watching. When she returns home to Hauser’s Landing, the very place her father disappeared, she comes in contact with a gorgeous boy named Lev Walker, and it’s not long before she’s falling in love. But there’s something wrong with Lev. When she realizes he’s the eerie watcher in her dreams, she’ll have to discover the truth. Is he a guardian angel or a sojourner, an angel of death who has come to collect her soul?

I'm not loving the sound of Angels of death but at the same time, I rarely pass up a title with Angels in it of any kind.  I don't think I'll change anytime soon.  Hopefully this mystery guy that Elizabeth has met and seen in her dreams turns out to be a good guy and not what it sounds like.  But I'll admit that while I'm intrigued, this one does kind of freak me out when it comes down to it.  A girl who has dreamed about her murder her entire life?  Yikes...not something I want on my resume for sure!

Countdown Pick #5:  For the Love of a Vampire (Blood Like Poison, #1) by M. Leighton

Ridley Heller thought that all her problems would be over if she could have Bo back; back from the dead. But what Ridley didn't know was that her wish would come at a price. 

Bo survived a condition that would have killed a lesser vampire, or any vampire for that matter. The only reason he didn't die is because of who he is, someone Ridley doesn't know at all. Someone Bo himself doesn't know at all.

As Ridley gets closer to finding out Bo's true identity, she discovers that loving him could also come at a price, a price much higher than she ever could have imagined. The question is: is there any such thing as a price too high to pay for Bo? For his love, for his safety, for eternity in his arms?


So does she know he's a vampire or not?  I'm slightly confused where this title is concerned but I'm still interested and couldn't resist passing this one by without adding it to my TBR list.  Has anyone checked out this title since it's release?  What do you think?  Did you continue on in the series?

1 comment:

  1. I'm trying to do this right now. Instead of constantly worrying about what's coming out next, I'm trying to catch up some of the older titles that I have hanging around.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails