Friday, January 27, 2012

Review: Scent of a White Rose (The Rose Trilogy, #1) by Tish Thawer

A vampire's love...

An innocent's guilt...

A secret no one could've imagined...

A paranormal romance that entices with a heroine that isn't quite what she seems, a vampire whose love story is filled with dark surprises, and a vampire clan whose Sire has lost the ability to inflict "the change".

~ ROSE ~
I'm Rose Reynolds. I have recently lost my Mom in a "freak accident".
Now everyone sees me as an innocent girl.... a “white Rose”.
But I have a secret that no one can imagine.
I'm not as innocent as everyone thinks…

~ CHRISTIAN ~
I'm Christian and I’m in love with Rose. I also have a secret as old as time.
I’m a vampire.
No, she doesn’t know…yet.
But when our new Sire is revealed, I'll petition them to change her.
Because truly, I can't live without her...


Here was yet another book that took me by surprise. It's been happening a lot lately and I couldn't be more excited about that fact. It's looking like 2012 will be chalk full of fantastic reads. Usually I read a synopsis and have already made judgements, we all do it and it's almost unavoidable no matter how hard we try to go into each and every read with an open mind. I'm not sure why, but although I thought this book sounded entertaining and it definitely piqued my interest, I'm not sure I was expecting to like it as much as I did. Thawer's writing keeps a steady pace that I personally enjoyed, and her characters have you relating to them as if they were your friends. She gave me background and got me involved but didn't let that slow down her plot in my opinion.

While Rose became a character I was rooting for, I'll admit to liking Christian and his "family" much more. Their stories and history were exciting and touching all at the same time. I would have liked more details into each of his "family" members but I'm optimistic that with this being the first book, the later installments will provide the information I'm looking for. And in the meantime I've found myself invested in their futures, so to speak. Thawer managed what I thought was an impossible feat. She was able to put yet another new spin on the age old vampire tale. With so many different vampire young adult books on the shelves these days I'm not sure where the creativity stems from, but her world was definitely not one I'd call a carbon copy of the others I've read and become familiar with. She made it her own and in turn made me an instant fan.

Rose and Christian and all their friends and family are faced with a unique situation that had me tense, anxious, and gripping my seat until the very last page. I'll admit that while the ending wasn't entirely predictable, I was hoping for one that was slightly different. She left her readers with a cliffhanger of course, what else would she do with two more books in the trilogy scheduled to come out, but my nerves and the romantic side of me was still crossing my fingers that a few of the loose ends would have been tied up. Oh well, I'm the reader, not the author so I'll just have to wait until the second installment, Blood of a Red Rose comes out in May 2012. That makes for a long countdown but I'm hoping a few teasers might come out in the meantime to keep my nerves in check.

I gave Scent of a White Rose 4 shamrocks!!!




No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails