Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Review: Crossed (Matched Trilogy, #2) by Ally Condie

In search of a future that may not exist and faced with the decision of who to share it with, Cassia journeys to the Outer Provinces in pursuit of Ky - taken by the Society to his certain death - only to find that he has escaped, leaving a series of clues in his wake.

Cassia's quest leads her to question much of what she holds dear, even as she finds glimmers of a different life across the border. But as Cassia nears resolve and certainty about her future with Ky, an invitation for rebellion, an unexpected betrayal, and a surprise visit from Xander - who may hold the key to the uprising and, still, to Cassia's heart - change the game once again. Nothing is as expected on the edge of Society, where crosses and double crosses make the path more twisted than ever.

Well after waiting for what felt like forever for this sequel to come out, I must say that I was pleased with how it turned out. I always want to blame myself when sequels do not live up to all the hype because I know that it's always partly my fault as the reader. When you've been so anxious to read something and work yourself up to such a level that it's almost always impossible for the book to be able to meet the standards you've set for the author, the writing and the series itself. But Condie prevailed and delivered a sequel worth reading and once again has me counting down to the next and final installment in the Matched trilogy.

There were of course things I would have liked to have seen come to fruition that didn't but I'm not the author and have no control over those details. However, Condie might not have included certain things that I was hoping for, but the elements that she did throw in were wonderful. The characters were put the the test (several times) all over again and once again the stress and anxiety that I felt for the characters during their challenges and hardships was at an all time high. I couldn't believe all they had to go through and accomplish to get where they wanted to go.

Now did the book leave us with another cliffhanger like last time? Of course! But it was one that I was OK with, if that makes any sense. I appreciated Condie's writing and the way in which she brought the characters to the points they reached. I had a few moments of pouting on my part because I wasn't getting my way, but I remembered that this wasn't my book and I had to exhibit some patience. Condie also had me a tearing up at a few points, I wonder if I was the only one reacting this way or if she managed to have all her readers attached the way I was.

So if you enjoyed the series opener, Matched, I highly recommend Crossed as an equal sequel and one that is absolutely worth reading. Now if only the third and final installment was coming out right away I could be a completely happy camper.

I gave Crossed (Matched, #2) 4 shamrocks!!!!




3 comments:

  1. I'm glad you enjoyed it. I have both Matched and Crossed but I'm waiting for the final book to come out to read them together.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i'm goin to get this one tonight!

    here's my review of catching jordan! stop by?!

    http://lindsaycummingsblog.blogspot.com/2011/11/arc-review-catching-jordan-fun-read.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just couldn't get into this one. I didn't like Matched but I was going to give Crossed the benefit of the doubt but I had to stop half way through. This series just doesn't work for me, it is much to slow for my taste.

    I'm glad you enjoyed it though.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails