Thursday, October 6, 2011

Review: Flying Blind (Dragon Diaries, #1) by Deborah Cooke

Zoë Sorensson is perfectly normal, except she's been told she's destined for great things. Zoë's the one female dragon shapeshifter of her kind. But Zoë is at the bottom of the class when it comes to being Pyr and her powers are AWOL, so she's sent to a Pyr boot camp.

Zoë quickly realizes that she has to master her powers yesterday, because the Pyr are in danger and boot camp is a trap. The Mages want to eliminate all shifters and the Pyr are next in line-unless Zoë and her friends can work together and save their own kind.

I really had fun with this one. As this was the first book of Cooke's I'd read I didn't really have any expectations. I'm not sure it would have mattered in the long run because Cooke won me over right from the start. While her world involves dragons, mages and all kinds of magic, she's centered it in a modern day world which grounded everything for me. And as Zoe and her friends are still just coming into their dragon powers, readers got to learn right along with them.

Cooke avoided lecturing her readers or boring them with minor details because Zoe was still learning as well. It was all relevant and very fun to imagine. The characters were fun and kept thing light along the way. Her dragon counterparts were unique in their own ways and brought a little something different to the table. Adrian was mysterious, Jared was drool worthy, and had me laughing on more than one occasion.

I'm thrilled Cooke has created this series and can't wait for her to share more with her second installment, Winging It, scheduled to hit the shelves in December 2011. I'm looking forward to seeing what new trouble Zoe and her friends find next and whether or not she's got another ride on the ducati in her future...

I gave Flying Blind (Dragon Diaries, #1) 4 shamrocks!!!!



No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails