Friday, October 14, 2011

New Finds (1)

I know it's not possible for me to keep up with all the authors and series' I've come to love because I'm not independently wealthy for one and I'm not able to stay and home with nothing to do but read...no matter how much I wish that was the case. I also will probably always miss out on great new authors, books, announcements, etc...because that's just the way it works and I can only imagine that I'm not alone in this situation. So when I do get the time to do a little surfing on my favorite blogs, searching Amazon, and checking in on Goodreads, etc...I get very excited. It's a chance to add some titles to my never ending TBR pile and now with the holidays quickly approaching to also add some of these titles to my Christmas list. So here are a few I found that have already been released but I missed along the way...

Pick #1: The Name of the Star (Shades of London, #1) by Maureen Johnson (9/29/11)

The day Louisiana teenager Rory Deveaux arrives in London marks a memorable occasion. For Rory, it's the start of a new life at a London boarding school. But for many, this will be remembered as the day a series of brutal murders broke out across the city, gruesome crimes mimicking the horrific Jack the Ripper events of more than a century ago.

Soon “Rippermania” takes hold of modern-day London, and the police are left with few leads and no witnesses. Except one. Rory spotted the man police believe to be the prime suspect. But she is the only one who saw him. Even her roommate, who was walking with her at the time, didn't notice the mysterious man. So why can only Rory see him? And more urgently, why has Rory become his next target? In this edge-of-your-seat thriller, full of suspense, humor, and romance, Rory will learn the truth about the secret ghost police of London and discover her own shocking abilities.


For whatever reason I enjoy watching and reading (sometimes) things that scare me. Don't ask me why, because I honestly don't know. I'm not quite sure why I torture myself with near heart failure, bad dreams, and everything else that comes with being terrified. At least with a book I won't run the risk of spilling a drink or food when I throw my hands up in the air during a scary part (which always seems to happen to me at the movies or while watching them at home). Jack the Ripper without a doubt fits into my scary category. He and Michael Myers are definitely at the top of my scary list so this should be pure torture for me. But hopefully maybe a little fun too????

Pick #2: Witch Song by Amber Argyle (9/1/11)

The world is changing. Once, Witch Song controlled everything from the winds to the shifting of the seasons--but not anymore. All the Witches are gone, taken captive by a traitor. All but Brusenna. As the echo of their songs fade, the traitor grows stronger. Now she is coming for Brusenna. Her guardian has sworn to protect her, but even he can't stop the Dark Witch. Somehow, Brusenna has to succeed where every other Witch has failed. Find the traitor. Fight her. Defeat her. Because if Brusenna doesn't, there won't be anything left to save.

Maybe it's because Halloween is quickly approaching but this tale of witches caught my eye immediately. I've always gotten hooked easily for the heroine's that are on their own and desperate to save themselves, but more importantly something bigger. The fate of the world, humanity at large, etc...So I'm anxious to see how this leading lady fairs and how things will twist and turn for her along the way.

Pick #3: The Beginning of After by Jennifer Castle (9/6/11)

Anyone who’s had something truly crappy happen to them will tell you: It’s all about Before and After. What I’m talking about here is the ka-pow, shake-you-to-your-core-and-turn-your-bones-to-plastic kind of crappy.


Sixteen-year-old Laurel’s world changes instantly when her parents and brother are killed in a terrible car accident. Behind the wheel is the father of her bad-boy neighbor, David Kaufman, whose mother is also killed. In the aftermath of the tragedy, Laurel navigates a new reality in which she and her best friend grow apart, boys may or may not be approaching her out of pity, overpowering memories lurk everywhere, and Mr. Kaufman is comatose but still very much alive. Through it all there is David, who swoops in and out of Laurel’s life and to whom she finds herself attracted against her better judgment. She will forever be connected to him by their mutual loss—a connection that will change them both in unexpected ways.


While this sounds a little like another story I've read, I'm intrigued nonetheless. I can't imagine going through a situation like the one Castle has painted here. The idea is mind numbing to say the least, but at the same time it's like the old saying goes, "when passing a bad car accident, you don't want to look, you know you shouldn't look, but can't seem to stop yourself from looking." So I'm curious to see how Castle weaves her story together and how her characters end up getting through these horrible circumstances.

Pick #4: The Mephisto Covenant (Mephisto Covenant, #1) by Trinity Faegan (9/27/11)

Sasha is desperate to find out who murdered her father. When getting the answer means pledging her soul to Eryx, she unlocks a secret that puts her in grave danger—Sasha is Anabo, a daughter of Eve, and Eryx’s biggest threat.

A son of Hell, immortal, and bound to Earth forever, Jax looks for redemption in the Mephisto Covenant—God’s promise he will find peace in the love of an Anabo. After a thousand years, he’s finally found the girl he’s been searching for: Sasha.

With the threat of Eryx looming, Jax has to keep Sasha safe and win her over. But can he? Will Sasha love him and give up her mortal life?


Forbidden romances, death looming over the horizon, evil lurking and white knights trying to protect their damsels in distress equals gold. I love all of these fantastical elements brought together in stories and this one sounds like a winner to me. The ideas might sound somewhat stereotypical, but they also sound fun and exciting. I'm excited to have found Faegan's story and I'm only sorry I didn't come across it sooner.

Pick #5: As I Wake by Elizabeth Scott (9/15/11)

Ava is welcomed home from the hospital by a doting mother, lively friends, and a crush finally beginning to show interest. There's only one problem: Ava can't remember any of them - and can't shake the eerie feeling that she's not who they say she is.

Ava struggles to break through her amnesiac haze as she goes through the motions of high-school life, but the memories that surface take place in a very different world, where Ava and familiar-faced friends are under constant scrutiny and no one can be trusted. Ava doesn't know what to make of these visions, or of the boy who is at the center of them all, until he reappears in her life and offers answers . . . but only in exchange for her trust.


I smell a conspiracy! Everyone loves a good mystery and this kind sounds like it could be a wild ride. Not being able to imagine having no memory of your family and friends or your life in general...scary stuff for sure. But I like the idea that readers may get the chance to discover and uncover the details right alongside the main character as she pieces her life back together. This could be very interesting.

1 comment:

  1. Oh my, these look fantastic. Happy reading.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails