Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Review: Nightspell (Mistwood, #2) by Leah Cypess

Here be ghosts, the maps said, and that was all.
In this haunted kingdom, ghosts linger—not just in the deepest forests or the darkest caverns, but alongside the living, as part of a twisted palace court that revels all night and sleeps through the daylight hours.

Darri's sister was trapped in this place of fear and shadows as a child. And now Darri has a chance to save her sister . . . if she agrees to a betrothal with the prince of the dead. But nothing is simple in this eerie kingdom—not her sister, who has changed beyond recognition; not her plan, which will be thrown off track almost at once; and not the undead prince, who seems more alive than anyone else.

In a court seething with the desire for vengeance, Darri holds the key to the balance between life and death. Can her warrior heart withstand the most wrenching choice of all?

After enjoying Mistwood and Isabel and Rokan's story so much, I found myself easily anticipating the release of Nightspell. While I understood this was merely a companion novel and not attached to Mistwood as a continuation or sequel, I must admit that I was slightly dissapointed.

Darri just didn't match up to Cypess' previous heroine in my opinion. I found myself encouraging her, giving her multiple chances to live up to my expectations, but she seemed to fall somewhat short. Ghostland was unique and intriguing, but sinec the main character and narrator hated it so much, I found it hard to be overly enchanted with it myself.

Cypess does know how to weave together moral dilemas without a doubt. She kept me questioning who were the "bad" guys really? And readers are constantly put in situations where they must decide what is right and wrong? Who gets to make those distinctions and who decides who must pay for the consequences of the actions taken?

Cypess had my thoughts and emotions tangled from start to finish and while I may have enjoyed Mistwood more, Nightspell was still an entertaining and worthwhile read.

I gave Nightspell (Mistwood, #2) 3 shamrocks!!!



No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails