Thursday, December 16, 2010

Review: Hexbound (Dark Elite, #2) by Chloe Neill

Lily Parker is new to St. Sophia’s School for Girls, but she’s already learned that magic can be your best friend…or your worst enemy.

They say absolute power corrupts absolutely. Turns out, even a little magic can turn you to the dark side. That’s why Lily has to learn how to control her newly discovered paranormal abilities, on top of avoiding the snobs who think they run her school, nursing a crush on a cute sophomore with a big, werewolf-y secret, and fighting the good fight with her best friend Scout as they take on Chicago’s nastiest nightlife—including the tainted magic users known as Reapers.

Then Lily’s invited to a private meeting with Sebastian. He’s hot, powerful, and offering to help her harness the magic flowing in her veins in a way no one else can. He’s also a Reaper. Lily can’t hide her suspicions. But she’ll soon find out that the line between good and evil isn’t always clear…


After being impressed with Chloe Neill's series opener, Firespell, I was anxious to get my hands on the next installment. With it's approaching release I was extremely excited to get an advanced copy to devour.

Lily Parker is back and her and her fellow adepts continued to kick butt as usual. While the evil reapers were not as present as they were in the first book, a new bad is on the loose and it looks like the reapers are behind the trouble again. While the reapers might not be plentiful, Sebastian makes a few appearances and continues to confuse me. I know he's not a "good" guy, but is he really as bad as I originally thought? I'm still on the fence where he's concerned. I think Lily is still trying to make up her mind as well.

The whole lot of adepts were back and I still love them all (or at least almost all of them). Scout is a little skittish after her recent kidnapping, but leave it to the adorable Michael Garcia to be there for her to (reluctantly) lean on. It was kind of a nice change of pace to see her looking to others for support instead of thinking she could do it all on her own. And not to mention what a sweetie that Garcia is? But of course, as adorable as Garcia is, Jason Shepard still holds first place for knight in shining (wolf) armor. He and Lily are incredibly cute together, but after the revelation Neill hits her readers with at the end of this installment, I'm not sure what to think. I'm hopeful that everyone will get their happily ever after endings but I'm also realistic enough to know that it isn't likely. All in all I thought Hexbound was a great follow up and another fun addition to the Dark Elite series. Keep them coming Neill!

I gave Hexbound 3 shamrocks!!!



No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails