Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Author Interview: Ednah Walters

I grew up reading Nancy Drew and Hardy boys mysteries, hence Stratemeyer influence, before I graduated to Mills & Boons (starting with Janet Daily's Shutter the Sky) and the rest is history.

I enjoy good love stories, tingly mysteries and wondrous adventures. When I finished my college and decided to be a stay-at-home mother, I devoured books like they were going out of production, until reading just wasn't enough. So I started to write.

I've written picture books, contemporary and romantic suspense, biracial/multicultural books, and finally YA fantasy. Awakened is the first book in The Guardian Legacy series. I'm working on book 2, tentatively named Betrayed. When I'm not writing, I do things with my family, five children or my darling husband of 18 years. I live in a picturesque valley in Utah, the setting for my series, The Guardian Legacy.

I can't tell you how excited I was to get the chance to interview Ednah Walters after reading her debut YA novel, Awakened. I gave you a snippet from her profile on Goodreads above, and now to the good stuff!

Katelyn: With all the different types of paranormal creatures out there and similar plot lines running around, where did you get the idea for the Guardians? What inspired you?

Ednah: I love to read about other cultures, so one day while reading about special weapons around the world, I came across an article on kris dagger (or keris dagger). Wow, the legend of this weapon blew me away. Kris daggers are believed to have been forged from a stone from the heavens and ore from earth. And they are believed to be vessels of spirits, good or bad, and can protect the owner. Soon I asked myself, who could have created such a weapon? From the list of the fallen angels, I chose Azazel, the fallen angel who taught humans the art of weapon-making. The back story fell into place after that. Soon, I was visualizing who could wield such a weapon. Sorry for the long-winded explanation.

As for what inspires me…my children. They love to read books that are unique, so most popular books never reach our house unless a friend buys them for their birthdays (Harry Potter is the exception). They asked me to write something they’d love…something different and Awakened was born.

Katelyn: With Awakened being your YA debut novel, I can only imagine how exciting and chaotic a process it's been for you. What's your favorite and least favorite part so far?

Ednah: Least favorite—I hate plotting though I’m trying to be an in-between-er. You know, plot a little, a rough sketch of the beginning, the middle and the end. Then I write and see where the characters take them. Go back and revisit the sketchy plot and fill in the blanks. Bottom line, I HATE plotting.

Favorite—Once I’m inside my characters’ heads and their voices are telling where to go, what to write. I love that. It’s like reading a book.

Katelyn: Did you or do you have a favorite character in your series? (Mine was Sykes!) If you do can you tell us who it is and why?

Ednah: Everyone loves Sykes. I wish I had favorites. They are all my babies, in a way. The bitchy ones, the sweet, smart, charming, mysterious ones, love them all.

Katelyn: Are you reading anything at the moment? Any favorite books/authors you want to share with us?

Ednah: I like anything by Cassandra Clare in YA genre. I read J.R. Ward in adult and can’t wait for her latest book. To be honest, I try to read as many books as I can in between my own projects and very few when I write. With five kids, I barely have time to sit down and write let alone read, so whenever they’re at school, I’m busy writing. They come home and I’m neck deep in after-school activities, them reading to me, me reading to them, homework, projects…

Katelyn: Are you working on anything at the moment? Has the second installment in the Guardian Legacy series been started? Want to give us any hints or juicy details about what we can look forward to in the future?

Ednah: I’m actually close to finishing book 2. My agent is breathing down my neck, but I have
a deadline I mean to keep, so keep your fingers crossed for me. So much is happening to the Guardians but I dare not put spoilers here. All you need to know is the Guardians are in for a rough time, especially Lil and Bran. In fact, I feel rather sorry for her at the moment.

Katelyn: Anything else you’d like to add?

Ednah: Since you like Sykes so much, I want you to know I plan to write his story down the line.

I did another happy dance...a Syskes spin off, that's awesome! Thanks so much Ednah for visiting the blog and for taking the time to answer a few questions. I can't wait to see what comes next in the Guardian series, and if you guys haven't checked out Awakened, you can take a look at my review here, and be sure to check out all things Ednah at her site. And do yourself a favor and pick up the book a.s.a.p. because it is a series starter that will have you wanting to read more and more!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails