Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Review: The Lonely Hearts Club by Elizabeth Eulberg

Penny is sick of boys and sick of dating. So she vows: no more. It's a personal choice. . .and, of course, soon everyone wants to know about it. And a few other girls are inspired. A movement is born: The Lonely Hearts Club (named after the band from Sgt. Pepper). Penny is suddenly known for her nondating ways . . . which is too bad, because there's this certain boy she can't help but like. . . .


The Beatles were the ones to say "love is all you need," and when I read this book, love was all I had. I was loving every minute and every page with a passion! It was fantastic and has officially become one of my 2010 favorites. Elizabeth Eulberg may be a debut author, but her writing style and The Lonely Hearts Club are magic, no question about it!


Penny Lane doesn't exactly have a normal or what one may consider a typical home and family, but one thing she seems to have in common with just about every girl around is boy trouble, and she's got it in spades. With The Beatles as her inspiration, she just may have found a solution to all of her problems, and those of her friends.

I really can't find any negatives about this book, other than I wish it hadn't ended, ever! But in all seriousness, if you ask me, there aren't any negatives about this book, it was wonderful. It was funny, quirky, realistic and with The Beatles all over it, and all through it, what's not to love? Even the cover is brilliant, don't you think?

Eulberg has a fresh voice and I don't think she'll be going anywhere anytime soon. She spoke at the book festival I attended a while back and after meeting her, there's no question that her writing comes from the heart. Her personality is all over this book. While speaking to the crowd, she may have mentioned a sequel being in the works for The Lonely Hearts Club in the future, and I couldn't be more excited about that prospect...really I was jumping up and down!

After finishing The Lonely Hearts Club, I most definitely have not had nearly enough of Penny Lane and her club of close friends. Whether it's Tracy, Diane, Morgan, Rita, Ryan or Penny's parents, I just adored them all and most definitely did not want to say goodbye. If you've got a sense of humor and are looking to add a new favorite to your shelves, look no further, The Lonely Hearts Club is the perfect book for everyone!

I gave The Lonely Hearts Club 5 shamrocks!!!



5 comments:

  1. aww this soounds like such a fun book! i love that it pays tribute to the beatles- they're awesome! i'm going to have to get myself a copy :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally loved this book too. It was just good clean fun. If I got really critical of it, some of the characters felt a little stereotypical and lacked sparkle - but it really was just a good fun book to read.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved this one when I read it earlier this year. It's a keeper for sure!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails