Friday, June 18, 2010

Review: Glimmerglass (Faeriewalker, #1) by Jenna Black

It's all she's ever wanted to be, but it couldn't be further from her grasp...

Dana Hathaway doesnt know it yet, but shes in big trouble. When her alcoholic mom shows up at her voice recital drunk, again, Dana decides shes had enough and runs away to find her mysterious father in Avalon: the only place on Earth where the regular, everyday world and the captivating, magical world of Faerie intersect. But from the moment Dana sets foot in Avalon, everything goes wrong, for it turns out she isn't just an ordinary teenage girl, she's a Faeriewalker, a rare individual who can travel between both worlds, and the only person who can bring magic into the human world and technology into Faerie.

Dana finds herself tangled up in a cutthroat game of Fae politics. Someone's trying to kill her, and everyone seems to want something from her, from her newfound friends and family to Ethan, the hot Fae guy Dana figures she'll never have a chance with...until she does. Caught between two worlds, Dana isn't sure where she'll ever fit in and who can be trusted, not to mention if her world will ever be normal again.


Yet another favorite to add to my list for 2010 releases. Glimmerglass won my heart from start to finish, from scene to scene and from character to character. Jenna Black is another debut novelist who floored me with her quick wit and wonderful story telling and I can only hope she decides to make this series one that lasts a very long time. The debut authors of 2011 are going to have a lot to live up to with the quality of writers that we're seeing this year.

We first meet the main character Dana in the human world and assume she's just like you and me, but we would be wrong. Her dad's a big powerful faery and that makes Dana special. So special that the fae have a term for her special and unique genetic make-up...she's a faeriewalker and she's the only one of her kind. Because she's so special and rare she's a trophy to some, a target for others, and in a whole lot of trouble. As much as I loved Dana, it was really the supporting characters who helped her along the way, and of course sometimes hindered her as well, but these were the ones that really stole my heart.

You've got Ethan (totally drool-worthy) who is helping her one minute and playing the hero, and the next minute we're just as confused and suspicious as Dana is of his true intentions. Then we meet Finn, an honest-to-goodness knight who totally fits the bill, but has a softer side underneath the tough exterior, I just loved him. And although his son, Keane was not around as much as the rest of the gang, I'm hoping he'll surface more in the sequel. I've always loved a "bad boy" ya know? But let's not forget about Kimber, what a doll! You love her, you hate her, you're dying to know the recipe for her hot posset (you'll have to read it to understand what I mean), she's fantastic!

Black has a way of shaping all her characters into such intricate and unique people that you can't help but want to get to know them better. This book was so great I of course flew through the pages, which was wonderful except that it was over far too quickly for my liking. I didn't want it to end and I can't wait for Shadowspell, the second installment in the Faeriewalker series to come out in 2011. I'm already counting down and am dying to get my hands on a copy!

I gave Glimmerglass (Faeriewalker, #1) 4 shamrocks and want more, more, more!



7 comments:

  1. Great review! This one is definitely on my wishlist.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was one of my favorite books of the season, too! I'm a Keane fan. ;-)

    Found you through the Blogger Hop!

    -Tiger http://tigersallconsumingbooks.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, perfect! Glad to hear that this book is good. I must read it sometime!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm here from the hop, and I follow now! Lovely review, and I'm glad that you liked it (you gotta love drool worthy guys too). I've been curious about it for a while, and I might give it a shot now!

    Taylor
    www.librarylurker.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is so nice 2 meet u :)
    Just hoppin' by from the crazy 4 books hop. I'm a relatively new book reviewer/blogger. I'd love to get more followers if you fancy ;)
    ~niki in az

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just wanted to let you know that there's an award for you over at Book Love!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the lovely review. And your wish is my command (and yes, I actually made this as research for that scene):

    Kimber’s Hot Posset

    2 1/2 cups milk
    2 tablespoons quick-cooking oats
    1/2 tsp salt
    2-3 tsps honey
    1 1/2 tsps brandy extract (yes, Kimber makes it with whiskey—a tablespoon is sufficient for flavor—but you’ll make it with brandy extract unless you’re legal drinking age)
    pinch of nutmeg

    Bring milk, oatmeal, and salt to a boil in a small saucepan. Remove from heat and allow to cool for ten minutes. Strain cooled liquid into a clean saucepan, extracting as much liquid as possible before discarding oatmeal. Stir in honey, nutmeg, and brandy extract. Heat until just short of boiling, then serve immediately. Makes 2 servings.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails